Friday, April 6, 2012

Nowhere Hair

I was given a book from our friends the Crandall's titled Nowhere Hair and it came at the perfect time! My hair started coming out last week, around Day 16.  I was told it would likely come out ten to fourteen days after starting chemo.  The above picture was taken before my first chemo treatment and I called it Phase 1. Thanks to Krystal and the "hair fairy" for my last visit to Studio Silver for a while!   I hadn't cut my hair in a couple months, so it was almost shoulder length and I was working on growing my pony tail back out.  I knew I needed to start preparing for the inevitable. 
Phase 2 came on Day 6, courtesy of Susan (Jason's cousin), merely because I felt like my hair was still a little too long.  My friend, Pat Pope loved it, can you tell way?!?!?!?  I know everyone handles the hair situation differently and I wasn't sure how I would handle it, but once it started coming out, I had no choice but to handle it the best way I could. Two things I couldn't handle were seeing hair on my clothes and on my pillow.  I was ready for Phase 3, so my Mom cut it a little shorter with the clippers one afternoon. It still seemed to be everywhere and every time I ran my fingers through it there would be some on my hands.  It was time to get the family involved in...
Phase 4.  Sawyer is four and a half and it's hard to know how to best help him through this, but we decided that he should experience this with us.  Out came the clippers and he LOVED every minute of it!  Phase 5 and 6 happened each night following, clippers with no guard and then Jerry (my brother-in-law) with his electric razor.  I am not sure how we ended up with no photo documentation of those, but as you can see, once it started, I was just ready for it all to be gone! There was also something very uncomfortable about sleeping with "prickly" hair, so that made the decision to slick it up much easier.  In comes the "professional" that I trusted to use a razor on my head! 
The last and final phase, thanks to Chad (Pat's son), my new twin!  You see, the thought of a razor on my head was kind of scary, but I trusted someone who shaves his own head with a razor on a regular basis!    Not to mention he was willing to come to my house on his day off and he showed up with all new supplies!  Sawyer sat on the counter and watched the entire time.  He's been proud of his part and often tells me to take my hat off to show everyone we see my bald head or sometimes it's just because he wants to rub it!  A huge thank you to everyone involved!  It wasn't something I thought I would ever have to ask any of you to help with, but thanks for being there with me every step of the way! 

I would highly recommend the book Nowhere Hair by Sue Glader to anyone else dealing with the loss of hair!  It's cute, fun, and was written by someone who has been here!  Sawyer liked it and I plan to use it with the girls in my Sunday School class too. 

I am the proud owner of LOTS of new hats and I am getting better at coordinating outfits, but it's still something to get used to!  With each passing day, I get more and more comfortable with my "nowhere hair" and I find myself thankful for all the money I'll save on highlights and haircuts, how quickly I can now get ready to walk out the door, Sawyer showing it off and rubbing it constantly and the fact that my family and friends love me for what's on the inside!

6 comments:

  1. You look as beautiful as always Suzanne! Your 1000 watt smile makes up for anything missing up top! Enjoy the hats - at least no "hat head" for a while! Love you and your courage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hair is so overrated! You look gorgeous! You know you have true beauty when you can look cute with a shaved head! Thanks for sharing your journey and your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first beheld that beautiful dimpled smile, there was no hair on the head, yet I fell hopelessly in love with my second daughter. I still know that the dimpled smile with get you anything you want with me and most definitely with your Dad! I think Dad has his fingers crossed that the hair will come back red!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzanne. This is Erin (Ross) Huffman. Just heard your news from Sheryl and checked in on your blog. Praying for you and your family and you walk this road trusting in God. I am so encouraged by your deep trust in him during this time. And you look FABULOUS with that shaved head! Lots of love to you. thanks so much for sharing this journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love entertaining the idea that it may come back RED! :) You're as beautiful today as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are absolutely beautiful, inside and out!

    Christina S.

    ReplyDelete