Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The same, but different

I woke up, got dressed, went down to eat breakfast and read my devotional, just the same as I do every morning, even on chemo mornings, but today was different.  There was a pep in my step and to quote Larry the Cable Guy, I was ready to "get 'er done!"  I was even more ready for the day after reading the first paragraph for June 18 in Jesus Calling:

YOU ARE MY BELOVED CHILD.  I chose you before the foundation of the world, to walk with Me along paths designed uniquely for you.  Concentrate on keeping in step with Me, instead of trying to anticipate My plans for you.  If you trust that My plans are to prosper you and not to harm you, you can relax and enjoy the present moment. 

Wow, so amazing to be reminded, yet again, that my awesome God walks with me where ever I go, even down paths I may have never thought I would travel, but ones that were designed uniquely for me!  And out pops Jeremiah 29:11 again with the reminder that if I trust God's word, I can RELAX and ENJOY all that today has to offer!  God is good, all the time!

So, there may have been a pep in my step, but motivating Jason to get going was the SAME as always!  My sweet man is NOT a morning person, he wants to wake up 5 minutes before time to leave, he doesn't eat breakfast right away, and he doesn't have much to say!  It always makes me smile to think about how different he and I can be in so many ways, yet it makes us perfect for one another! 

We fly to the front of the Cancer Hospital, where Jason drops me off at 8:35 for an 8:30 appointment and I still have to check in!  I'll let you decide if that's the same or different! ;-)   The same sweet lady runs down my appointments for the day, hands me my number and tells me to watch the screen for my turn to visit the registration desk.  The registration process is one that makes me chuckle, I guess I feel like I should have earned a frequent flyer card for being there every other Monday for 4 months and they should know that:

Yes, my address, my home number, my cell number and my birth date are the SAME!
Yes, my insurance is the same!
Yes, I have a port!
Yes, I know the hospital's billing procedures!

Oh well, I know everyone has their procedures, so I just politely answered their questions and waited patiently as they filled out paper after paper for my 3 appointments. 

Accessing my port was first, and the same sweet lady greeted me at the door with hugs.  Shelly was my favorite and it always made my day when I saw her smiling face.  Today was different though, that may very well have been the last time my port was accessed.  I am hoping my port will be taken out during surgery (I've been instructed to ask my surgeon if he will do that, so I don't have to go back again to have it removed).  Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my port!  It did make life much easier for chemo purposes, there was no need for an IV each time (we all know that some folks have that skill and some folks don't) and there was no burning,  My reasons for wanting it out ASAP are simple, it's something in my body that is not supposed to be there and I have a rough and tough four year old who has to be sick and tired of me saying "be easy, watch Mommy's port" because frankly, I am sick of saying it and I am ready to get this body back to normal!

Once my port has been accessed and my blood has been drawn, I am off to visit my doctor.  Each time I go, they check my weight, height, blood pressure, temperature, oxygen level, etc.  So this time was much the same, one thing that was very different was my blood pressure!  My first visit back in March had the nurses in a tizzy, they said to me "Honey, is your blood pressure always this high?"  My response was, "No, but I think I'm allowed to have high blood pressure, I am 30 and was just diagnosed with breast cancer and today is my very first chemo treatment!"  Needless to say, they moved on and said nothing else about my blood pressure.  This time my blood pressure was normal and nothing was even mentioned.  What a difference it makes when it's your first treatment versus your LAST! 

Today we saw the nurse practitioner, Anna Kate, since Dr. Muss was on vacation.  We have seen her several times and we really like her.  Jason commented on the fact that she always hugs me too, which you know I love, I'm a hugger! But there's also that personal connection, that they remember me, they've gotten to know me, they are on my team!  This visit was much the same, a review of how my last treatment went, an exam, all my questions, and then came the different part, the realization that visiting my oncologist will be a part of the rest of my life!  But this is my path and there is someone bigger than I, walking with me today and every day!

Although we were a few minutes late, today everything timed out perfectly and we hit infusion with only 2 folks ahead of us to be seated.  We ended up in chair 47, which was a private room!  I agree with Mo and will call it "rock star treatment!"  You have more room, the TV is at a much better location, so Jason enjoyed the "American Picker's" marathon, and we even cut the lights out for my nap!  Took the same amount of time and even had one of the same nurses we've had before, but today was different!  It was MY turn for the celebration and song!  I'm not sure that I wrote about this, but we had just sat down for my first treatment, high blood pressure and all, and sweet Patty with the flower in her hair was giving us the run down and all the sudden we hear clapping and noise makers and then they break out in song, "For she's a jolly good fellow..." Someone had just finished their last chemo!  Don't get me wrong, I was happy for them, but hearing that and just sitting down for my first, made the road seem long, would I ever get to hear that song?  Well, guess what folks?  I did!  Oh, what a sweet, sweet moment!

Friends, you have loved and prayed me through phase 1 of this journey and I thank you with my whole heart! Tomorrow marks the beginning of phase 2, as we meet with the surgeons and set a date for surgery.  I know there will be lots of information coming my way, so my posse will be there with me, to listen, ask questions, take notes, and hold me together! :-) 

 I just have to remember, what's on the inside that makes me who I am, will remain the same, but the outside will just look a little different and different is not always bad, right?


6 comments:

  1. Cause for celebration, indeed! I'm so glad you're getting such great care. Adios Phase 1! Hello, Phase 2. Praying this one will be much easier on you. Thankful for your continued faith in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear your update and that you are moving on to Phase 2! I love the Jesus Calling devotional. So glad it's been an encouragement to you as you've trusted and walked intimately with our Father on this road he has for you! YAY for finally hearing "she's a jolly good fellow!" Much love to you! Erin (Ross) Huffman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a journey well traveled Suzanne! I am thrilled for you as you finish this race and prepare for the next journey. Your faith is inspiring - and your attitude amazing! Praying for you always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you, and your sweet spirit continues to amaze me. I just read your post to Daddy, and he wants me to tell you that he loves you. No worries about Phase 2, because God has definitely got this one too. Love-love-love you, little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite post!! Mainly, because it's saying goodbye to chemo. :) I love that your faith has gotten you this far and will continue to be your solid ground until the end. I love you, dear friend-- can't wait celebrate with you on Saturday! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Keep it up Suzanne. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Every time I read your blog is a reminder for me to appreciate everything GOD put in my way. I love this post especially, the devotional you mention. I hope yo read you soon!!

    ReplyDelete