Monday, June 4, 2012

Then there was one...

I can't even go to sleep tonight, I'm still awake, praising my awesome God, my Redeemer, and my Healer!  I have only one more chemo treatment left and part one of this journey will be complete.  When I heard eight treatments, one every other Monday, that was four months.  It seemed like such a long time, but those four months have flown by and the end of chemo is in sight! 

This is a busy time of the year with lots of fun things to be a part of and we haven't missed a beat, or at least we try not to, but I'll admit, I'm tired, my energy level is not what it normally is.  My favorite phrase has become, "I pooped out and couldn't finish (fill in the blank)" to which my four year old replies, "Mommy, you need to go the potty?"  Well, that same sweet four year old is causing some mental and emotional exhaustion as well.  He is 100% boy, no longer interested in napping, obsessed with Power Rangers, wants to do everything on his own and be a "big boy," but still longs to be "Mommy's baby" all at the same time.  He is "lawyering" (as we call it) at me one minute, but then rubbing my bald head telling me he loves me and that I'm pretty, the next!  There is just never a dull moment around here and I have no doubt he'll continue to keep me on my toes all summer!  

Part two of this journey will be surgery.  This was a topic I didn't want to think about, much less talk about for quite a while, but like everything else, God has given me the courage and strength I need to be ready to walk down this path as well. My last chemo is scheduled for June 18.  I have three appointments every chemo day, labs, oncologist, and then infusion.  I am also scheduled for another mammogram on the 18th.  Even though I just had one at the beginning of May, they want a more current one for the surgeons.  I am hoping to receive a phone call by the end of the week confirming an appointment with my surgeon and plastic surgeon for June 20.  This will hopefully mean a definite date for surgery on my calendar!  I do know I have to wait 3 weeks after my last chemo before I can have surgery.  So that puts us in the middle of July for sure, but we hope to squeeze in a family trip or two before surgery, so I think it will work out perfectly!

I had tucked my big girl panties away after my liver MRI, but I pulled them out again today and for about 30 minutes (before that darn benadryl kicked in and knocked me out) I looked up information about a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.  I was quickly reminded why I don't often look things up on my own!  There is WAY to much information out there and for those of you who know me well, know that I like the experts to explain it to me in person, in black and white!  I am now at least familiar with the options, but I covet your prayers as we make those decisions in the coming weeks and as we prepare Sawyer for my surgery,  hospital stay and recovery.  

So, for now, I will take my last expensive shot tomorrow, finish up the school year next week, remember why I love being a teacher, and party on the 18th because...

then there was one!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update...been wondering how you're doing. Sounds like the end is in sight! I will be praying for this last treatment as well as the next phase. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sweet girl, how I wish I could have somehow made this all go away as Mama's are susposed to do. But since I could not, I have to look at all the good that has come from your journey. I have watched as your friends flocked to your side and cared for you like they were family--and I thanked God! I have watched our friends and family pray for you and for Dad when we could not find the words--and I thanked God. I have watched God send just the right people into your life at just the right moment with just the right message--and I thanked God. I have watched you grow spiritually at an exponential rate, and I stand in awe of you and of God's power in your life. I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that God is with us every minute and that he will make this last phase of your treatment as full of miracles as the first. I love you little girl. Mama

    ReplyDelete