Thursday, March 1, 2012

Holding me in His hands

I planned to work Tuesday, but the more I moved and the fact that I am not a great patient, let's just say I didn't make it. You can ask Jason for more details! ;-)

Wednesday, I was determined to go. Thankfully, Sawyer had spent the night with GiGi and Pappy, so I only had to get myself ready and out the door. With Jason's help, we both made it out the door and that's when the Almighty took over.
 
There is no way possible that I drove to school that morning. One hand was holding on to my girl, because there must have been 1,000 bumps and potholes between my house and Andrews, and the other was on the wheel, but my mind was on the phone call I would be receiving!
 
As all my teacher friends know, it doesn't take long to get consumed with school, from the moment you walk in the door. So I hit the ground running and that was a good thing. Text messages were pouring in, my co-workers were fabulous, my friend Carlos even came and sat beside me at one point and said nothing at all!
 
At 2:30, still nothing, so I paged the radiologist and at 2:41pm, my phone rang. There was small talk at first, but then "do you have a few mintues, your pathology report is back?"
 
I heard "BREAST CANCER" and I am honestly not sure what else I heard, but I did write some things down. I hugged my friend Leisa before I left and I got in the car to call Jason.
 
Words can't describe the way I felt when I had to call the people I love most and tell them I have breast cancer! But calls I made, tears running down my face, trying to wrap my brain, my arms and my heart around my new reality.
 
I walked in my house, to see the man I love in the kitchen and I asked him the one question I needed to ask him...when he said "YES," that was all I needed to hear from him.
 
Love came pouring into my house, I am not even sure how so many people got here as fast as they did. We cried, we laughed, we cried some more!
 
At the end of that day, there were several things that I knew for sure:
 
*Oddly enough, it was better to know that I had breast cancer than to wait for the phone to ring
 
*When the people you love are around you, you feel like you can do anything!
 
*Most importantly, I know that my God holds me in HIS hands and this news was no surprise to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment