Thursday, March 1, 2012

More than I bargained for

I was prepared for a mammogram and ultrasound, scheduled for 1:50 on Monday, February 20. My doctor is in Asheboro, so my tests were taking place at the Outpatient Center at Randolph Hospital. Lucky for me, Kelly, the best big sister in the world, works there and was meeting me for my appointments.

I am not sure if I should use names, but everyone I came in contact with was wonderful! I would hug the necks of the ultrasound tech and radiologist if given the opportunity. It can't be easy to have the conversations they have with people, and they were kind, patient, and gentle with their words and their actions. Oh, and the girls doing the mammograms, sweetest things! How could I not love someone who tells me she has a daughter named Suzanne??


We went back first for the mammogram. By we, I mean me and the "girls," not sure what I shall call the right breast, but breast just isn't going to work for me! They checked both girls, but it wasn't so bad. Definitely an interesting experience, but one I will highly recommend to all the women in my life!

After the mammogram, came the ultrasound. The radiologist shared with us that the lump was not filled with fluid, instead it had tissue inside and the lymph node under my right arm was also swollen. She wanted to do a biopsy of both. I turned and looked at Kelly, this was WAY more than I had prepared for mentally! A mammogram and ultrasound shouldn't be so bad, but remember, I am 30 and I felt a lump myself, so for this girl, these were nerve racking procedures! The thought of going home and coming back Wednesday for a biopsy, was NOT an option. Luckily they were able to do the biopsy right then. We had missed the 3pm cut-off time for things going to pathology, so I wouldn't get my results back the next day, I would have to wait until Wednesday. I was nervous, I was tense, I was starting to feel sick!



Kelly calls Jason, but for those of you who know him, you know he would say do whatever we needed to do. He would have been there if we had known about the biopsy, but we had no idea. So, the biopsy takes place, my right girl went first, which wasn't so bad, but the underarm, that was another story! Can we say OUCH?



After the biopsy, they wanted another mammogram because they had inserted a clip to "mark the spot" to help if surgery was needed. It wasn't bad, I was still numb, but I was ready to get out of there! So off we went, with ice packs inserted in all necessary places, post-biopsy instructions, and a lot more than I had bargained for!

No comments:

Post a Comment